C for yourself
Vitamin C happens to be one of my favourite skincare ingredients. If formulated well (and that’s a big if), it has the potential to deliver the killer combination of both instant AND long term benefits to the skin. And that’s not just marketing hype: the benefits have been scientifically proven. They include:
- instant radiance and clarity to the skin
- more even skin tone
- reduction in oxidative (free radical) and UV damage
- increased collagen synthesis
- increased skin elasticity and firmness
However (here comes the ‘big if’ I mentioned), there are vitamin C formulations out there that simply do not work. This is usually down to bad formulation, in one or both of the following ways:
- the vitamin C content is not protected from oxidising (i.e. degrading – which it is very prone to do) within the packaging or formula
- the percentage of vitamin C in the product is too low to produce results.
As I am sure you are aware, brands unfortunately do not always take product formulation as seriously as they should, instead relying more on the strength of marketing a feel-good factor and a product back-story. So when I buy a product that is making claims off the back of its vitamin C content, I look for a brand that takes product formulation seriously. A brand like REN, in fact.
So I was excited and intrigued to learn that REN were launching a new vitamin C product called Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial.