Welcome to Nameless Grace. If you are looking for unbiased and in-depth news & reviews of the latest and greatest in beauty, skincare and haircare innovations, you’ve come to the right place!
So what’s it all about, and who am I?
About meFirstly, you’ll be unsurprised to learn that Nameless Grace isn’t my actual name! My name is Jill and I am based in the UK. The Nameless Grace moniker comes from a classic love poem by Lord Byron (who was “mad, bad and dangerous to know”), aptly named She Walks in Beauty. ‘Grace’ also happens to be my mother’s family name.
I have had a long-held obsession with finding the best of the best in skincare, haircare, cosmetics, beauty devices and healthcare products. I, like many other women, have been on something of a lifelong quest for that ‘holy grail’ product that will transform my life! Over the years of looking, I think I’ve acquired a pretty unrivalled knowledge about all things beauty-related, and am now constantly tapped for my advice by friends and family.
About my approach
As well as my all-round obsession with finding the ‘best of the best’ products and devices, I should also say that I am a trained scientist, and spent a long time in academic study and lab-based research. I therefore bring a keen scientific eye to anything I evaluate, and always, without fail, try to understand the actual science (or lack of it) behind a product before I part with my hard-earned cash. I am slightly obsessed, for example, with the ingredients list on every product. I want to know the reason why an ingredient is included, at what concentration, and whether it is likely to be effective at that level and in combination with the other ingredients.
Also, ‘best of the best’ doesn’t have to mean ‘most expensive’. There are some great products out there that you can find on the shelves of your local drugstore or supermarket, and good value for money absolutely has to be a key part of any purchase decision. Why pay hundreds for a NASA-tested serum that was extracted from the petals of an Amazonian tree orchid by trained lemurs, when a high street brand will do the same or almost the same for a fraction of the price?!
Something that I always enjoy doing is trying to find novel ways of using a product, in a way that hasn’t been described by the manufacturer or other reviewers. This could be as simple as finding a convenient way to apply the product, or could be a way of combining it with another product for a particularly effective or unexpected result. This can a great value-for-money way of making the products in your beauty bag work hard for you.
About the site
This website is my attempt to capture some of my thoughts, opinions, experience and insight into a wide range of beauty products, treatments and devices. When it comes to products, this can range from the everyday items that you see on your supermarket shelves, to high-end luxury brands, cost-busting ‘drugstore dupes’ and lesser-known overseas imports.
When it comes to splashing our cash, I believe we as customers should be in control, not slaves to the hype of marketeers. I always try to give you as much of information and insight as possible to help and inform your purchases, and I try to treat you as the intelligent and savvy consumer that you are.
Of course, there will always be an element of personal preference in any opinion, and this applies to me just as it does to each of you. But I try to focus on the facts, and wherever I do offer an opinion based on personal preference alone, I always aim to explain why I prefer it.
As well as the articles on beauty, you will also see occasional posts from me on fashion, interiors, music, culture, dining out, and maybe a little bit about my dogs (two very badly-behaved miniature long-haired dachshunds named Hoagy and Harvey)!
What do you think of the articles you have seen so far? Would you like to see more or less on certain topics? Would you prefer more or fewer photos? More or less of the science? Click here to tell me – I’m all ears! Or just add a comment at the bottom of this page.
Things worth knowing…
- I am and will always remain fiercely objective in my reviews. I have no commercial affiliations, brand loyalties or other obligations that will affect my reviews or opinions. I generally buy all the items that I review with my own money, but if I have been commissioned for a sponsored post, I will be very clear about that. If I have received something for free or sponsored to review it, this will absolutely not influence my opinion or how I present my review, and I will not hold back in my criticism (or praise) if I think it is deserved. Also, note that a free product sample absolutely does NOT guarantee a review.
- All text and photographs on this site are subject to copyright. I am more than happy for you to link to my articles from your own site, blog, twitter feed, etc., but please don’t copy them (in part or in full) for reuse elsewhere.
- I take my own photos of swatches, packaging, usage results, etc. using a standard but reasonably decent digital camera under controlled lighting. I always try my best to ensure that the images are as accurate and representative as possible. However, I make no promises that they are perfect, as they are designed to act as a rough guide only. I cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies or errors that you might discover.
- My reviews and recommendations are based simply on my opinions or my interpretation of the scientific facts, and should not be seen as definitive guidance. I always try to give you as much information (and supporting science) as possible, but ultimately this is just based on my own experience and insight, and you may develop an entirely different view on the same item. At the end of the day, your beauty bag is very personal to you, and just because something works for me doesn’t mean it will automatically work for you (or vice versa). There are many, many reasons why the same product may be far more effective or appealing for one person than it is another.
- Please do feel free to contact me, either using the contact form or by adding a comment to an article. I would be absolutely delighted to hear from you, especially to find out what you think of my site, but also with suggestions for improvement, requests for information, your own beauty recommendations and article topic ideas. I will always try to be as responsive and helpful as time allows!
I hope you enjoy the site. Happy reading!